[OpenNESS-dev] OpenNESS 21.03 Released

Mokhtar, Amr amr.mokhtar at intel.com
Wed Mar 31 15:15:04 PDT 2021

We are pleased to announce our 21.03 releases of OpenNESS and the Intel Distribution of OpenNESS. In 21.03 we introduce important new innovations, steady enhancements to existing features, and upgrades to our supported applications and operating system.

One of our most notable innovations is the addition of new accelerators to the access edge experience kit. Similar to our earlier experience kits for 5G private wireless and software-defined networking in a wide area network (SD-WAN), it is an optimized reference architecture to help streamline RAN deployments using Intel(r) vRAN Dedicated Accelerator ACC100 (Pomona Lake) and Intel(r) Ethernet Controller E810 with DDP (Columbiaville) for fronthaul and mid-haul networking. Consistent with our other experience kits, we are moving the access edge experience kit from Open Source to the Intel Distribution of OpenNESS.  The components of access edge and RAN remain available in Open Source - but the high value, integrated experience kit will move to IDO in this release.

In 21.03 we have enhanced a number of existing features, most notably our Edge Wan Overlay which now includes a custom resource definition to automate deployment and our Edge Multi-Cluster Orchestrator which now supports hardware platform awareness to further optimize workload placement. In addition, the Non-3GPP Inter-Working Function (N3IWF) Containerized Network Function (CNF) has been enhanced to support Vector Packet Processing (VPP) 20.09 and multiple User Equipments (UEs); interoperated with FlexCore and an Open Source 5G Core using UEs Simulator. We have also introduced a number of important upgrades including support for 3rd generation Intel(r) Xeon(r) Scalable processors (Ice Lake), support for CentOS 7.9 (the last minor release of CentOS 7.x), Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) certification of OpenNESS and the Intel Distribution of OpenNESS for Kubernetes 1.20, and validated support for the latest versions of Intel(r) Edge Insights for Industrial and Intel(r) OpenVINO applications.

To learn more about these and other changes in our 21.03 release, please visit http://www.openness.org/.

OpenNESS 21.03 can be downloaded from the OpenNESS website (https://www.openness.org/) as well as from the OpenNESS Github site (https://github.com/open-ness).

Best regards,
Your OpenNESS Team